The EMT’s job function is to transport sick and injured persons by ambulance in a manner conducive to their safety and comfort and to administer Basic Life Support level pre-hospital care and treatment within the limits defined by the State of Ohio law and LifeCare Medical Director.
Patient Care Responsibilities
- Develops, directs, delegates, and participates in the plan of BLS patient care in the pre-hospital setting utilizing both written medical guidelines as established by LifeCare’s Medical Director and direct medical control with hospital emergency departments via radio and/or telephone communications.
- Recognizes the need for and administers Basic Life Support procedures when the patient condition warrants.
- Performs the following EMT skills competently and to the standards set by the LifeCare EMS Academy, utilizing written guidelines as established by LifeCare’s Medical Director, under orders given by a hospital emergency department with which he or she has established voice communications, or as ordered by a competent on scene physician:
- Patient Assessment
- BLS Airway Interventions
- EMT Level Medication Procedures
- Radio Communication and Telemetry at the EMT level
- Proficient in Basic Life Support level of patient care, and able to integrate each effectively to produce optimal patient care.
- Provide care that is observant and responsive to patient needs as they arise.
Duties and Other Responsibilities
- Assures the presence and functionality of all BLS level equipment and its replacement and restocking if used.
- Assumes EMT level responsibility and accountability for the standard of medical care delivered to patients.
- Assumes responsibility for proper documentation of BLS level of care when instituted.
- Assumes responsibility for proper disposal and/or cleaning of contaminated material in compliance with OSHA rules and regulations.
- Maintains an active participation in continuing education programs assuring a high level of job proficiency on a theoretical and practical basis and sufficient State of Ohio continuing education recertification hours.
- Performs other job related duties as may be assigned or required to allow for the smooth and efficient operation of the LifeCare Ambulance Service.
- Must be currently licensed in the State of Ohio as an EMT-Basic.
- Must have a current Basic Cardiac Life Support provider certificate from the American Heart Association.
- Must secure and maintain ITLS (International Trauma Life Support) certifications immediately after beginning employment with LifeCare.
- Must be knowledgeable regarding the State of Ohio’s laws regarding the functioning of EMT’s.
- Must be able to pass a written, oral, and practical EMT level test administered by the LifeCare EMS Academy.
- If driving, must have a valid State of Ohio Driver’s license. Must have maintained a drivers license for at least the previous two years. Must keep a clean driving record. Any points against license must be reported and could be due cause for dismissal.
- All employees must also meet all requirements imposed by the state and federal governments with respect to individuals involved with medical transportation, as well as all requirements of LifeCare’s insurance provider.
- Must physically be able to fulfill the role of EMT, with or without a reasonable accommodation which includes, but is not limited to Lifting & Moving patients weighing up to 150 pounds without assistance or up to 300 pounds with the assistance of one other crew member.
- Suggested to have 1-2 years previous EMT experience with an emergency medical service.